Friday, August 20, 2010

HOLY COW, HOLY COW, HOLY COW!!!

I'm here. I'm like, really here. My flight from SFO to Manila was uneventful although I couldn't sleep to save my life (my butt kept falling asleep though!). And lucky me, they made it a non-stop at the last minute, meaning I would have 7 hours instead of 5 to kill when I got to the airport! I had good seatmates, friendly, but didn't bug me. Philippine Airlines is very nice. They serve 2 yummy meals, give out 'overnight' bags w/eye mask, socks and toothbrush/paste. They also give a nice, hot washcloth after breakfast. This may sound crazy, but the stewardesses are all incredibly beautiful. They look like maybe they are Stepford Stewardesses. Same makeup, same hairdo's, same shoes, pretty scarves pinned at the neck w/nice broaches. Makes Southwest look like it's run by the homeless.
Ninoy Aquino International Airport in the Philippines was very interesting. We arrived at 330 am, just as the airport was opening for business.  As we got off the plane, we were herded (quite literally) into what appeared to be the basement, but turned out to be the 'old airport', to go through customs, immigration etc. Since I was an 'international transfer' I was assigned a nice young man to take me to my gate.  Little did I know it was going to be a covert operation. He led me through a throng of people to a large glass door that was chained shut with a big, heavy chain. He nodded to a security guard to unchain it then we went down a short hall to a dimly lit stairwell, up 2 flights, out a fire door, (I swear I could hear the theme from James Bond) through another set of  chained doors, complete with security guard, to a large empty lobby. Around the side of a row of empty tax booths and finally to a security check point -- sans security guards. (Guess they were all busy opening chained doors.) No TSA here, baby.  We shuffled through 'security' to a large, open, airy and completely empty terminal.  My guide said, "This will be your home for the next 7 hours."
A wee bit anticlimactic, but there you have it.
By the time I caught my flight from Manila to Bangkok my cold had moved to my chest and I was feeling pretty crappy. The flight attendant took pity on me and found me a row all to myself. I told him I was contagious. :)
At the airport in Bangkok, I somehow completely missed the Customs counter. I saw it, but no one was around. I found an airport cop and asked him about it. He said "Bot do you hab to declare?" I said "Flea medicines for dogs - lots of it." He rolled his eyes, put a finger to his lips and said, "Go."  Hunh. Ok.
More about the train station and train ride later. I just got to my guesthouse and I'm starving.
Toni
It ain't heavy. . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment