Monday, August 30, 2010

Working with Dr. Prathis


On my third day I began doing rounds with Dr. Prathis. What a nice, down to earth guy. He took so much time to educate about me about the different conditions that affect the elephants here and how he treats them. Together, even with the language barrier, we found common ground in our interest in medicine and healing. I learned that many of the meds used on elephants are the same meds used on humans. Amoxicillin, penicillin, povidone-iodine, Ibuprofen even! (it takes about 40 Ibuprofen pills a day to relieve a minor ache or pain for an elephant).

Our first patient of the day was suffering from an infection on 2 of her feet. The wounds were caused by worms and the result is necrosis on much of the skin above the toenail, even causing the nail to lift away from the foot. To my shock, Dr. P quickly me gave the rundown on the treatment procedure and handed me the first of several meds to be applied. After cleansing, cutting and giving a triple dose of antibiotics (liquid, powder and injection) she was done. Although she was very cooperative, you could tell it was not her favorite part of the day. She even played that game with me, "here's my foot, ah! too slow! ok, just kidding, here's my foot, oooh, too slow again!!"   Gotta love her.

For the next two hours, under Dr. P's direction, I treated an abscess on the back of Jokia's ear, a bilateral eye infection and dry skin on the back of an elephant's elbows. I was trying hard to be present in every single moment, but I was simply overwhelmed with disbelief. Finally on the 3rd day of helping the good doctor I roped him into taking pics while I administered to these lovely ladies so I could prove that I had done it -- to myself especially. I am terribly worried that I will wake up soon and realize that it all, in fact, has been just a dream.

More pics of playing Dr. Lowery, Medicine Woman

Genevieve, a fellow volunteer and doctor from France joined us on Thursday and Friday. Some of these pics are of her -- we are wearing the same clothes and have the same hair. Weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment