Monday, August 30, 2010

It's a Dog's Life Here

Just a few . . . .

The park is home to somewhere between 50 and 80 dogs. Some have been rescued, some have been abandoned and some have been born there. The dogs have the run of the property and have separated themselves into 5 packs.  This is something that concerned me before I arrived. I knew that the dogs had the pack mentality and there were occasional scuffles, but I didn't want to witness anything more serious. Ever since Sophie was attacked by that pit bull I am seriously traumatized and even a distressed cry from a dog sets me on edge. But once in a while one of them will stray across territory lines and is immediately chased back where he belongs, other than that they behave. Most have been spayed/neutered and vaccinated. They are healthy and seem very happy. Almost all of them are very friendly and love the attention showered on them by everyone.

And a few more . . . .

The flea meds I brought were very appreciated by Lek and Pom. Lek said she puts a few doses in her truck and if she sees a dog on the street that obviously has bad fleas she stops and treats them. She's amazing.

I loved having the dogs around. One or two took a shine to me and were never far away. Three or four of the dogs followed us as we trekked around the property and nearby villages. It was great. A couple of the dogs would go into Chong Yim's shelter and tease him. Even though he chased them out with much indignation I think he secretly enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment