Sunday, August 29, 2010

Rock-a-bye (500 lb.) Baby


 
The same afternoon Lek saved me from a lifetime of whacking down grass, she also took me to see her "baby".

Faa Mai is 15-months old now and she is the first baby to be born at the park. About 4 pm everyday she goes down for a short nap.When we reached the shelter where Faa Mai and her family bed down for the night I knelt beside this 500 lb angel, rubbing her belly and listening to Lek sing sweet Thai lullabies in her ear. I have never even dared to dream I would be doing this. It wasn't until Lek looked at me and patted my arm that I realized I had tears rolling down my face. (Apparently this is quickly becoming my special skill). Just as I can't explain my passion for elephants, I can't explain the effect this place, these experiences are having on me. Not everyone gets the opportunity to even see this evening ritual take place, so I felt incredibly blessed to actually be a part of it.



No comments:

Post a Comment