Sunday, August 22, 2010

Adaptable? Me?

That's not a word I would usually use to describe myself, so I can't believe how quickly I've become used to being here. I've found a pub nearby that serves fantastic food and I know a little family around the corner that sells cold Coca-cola light out of their front yard and gives me a nice price.

I am also completely adept at hailing my own tuk-tuk. I know when they're trying to overcharge me and I have no problem calling them on it. In fact, I've become rather good at bargaining. I used to really suck at it. Fear of rejection probably. But it's expected here. In fact, if you don't haggle over the price of something it's considered an insult.

Last night and tonight I was at the Night Bazaar shopping for souvenirs. The market resembles a street fair in that it has booths lined up and down several blocks of 2 streets that are shut down to traffic. About every fifth booth you get a repetition of the goods. T-shirts, carved wooden goods, beaded goods, knock-off designer shoes, handbags and ladies clothing and finally fake Tiffany jewelry complete with little aqua box and bag. Then it starts all over again, T-shirts, carved wooden goods . . . . etc. So when you see something you like, you say "Sawatdee kaa, sabai dee mai? How much?" Translation, "hello, how are you? how much?"

They'll give you some ridiculous price -- like ten bucks for a t-shirt. Next step: look horrified, shake your head no, "mye me dung" (too much) and start to walk away. Now, let the haggling begin. You can get a ten-dollar t-shirt down to $2.50. And they love it! It would probably be fun if it weren't 90 degrees and my feet weren't hurting.

Also the few Thai phrases I know are starting to come out at the right time. I can say: hello, goodbye, how much, thank you, how are you, I am fine, I want to walk, and it's ok. That's pretty good for someone who also knows only 10 words in Spanish and lives in California. Oh, and I know 'sorry'. I use that one a lot. And besides, the most important and effective form of communication is laughter. And I'm good at making people laugh -- even when I don't mean to!

I'm not homesick - yet. Of course it's hard to be homesick when you're eating the best BBQ pork sandwich and potato salad you've ever had while watching Law and Order with Thai subtitles.

So, here I am. It's not scary. I feel, like, I don't know -- empowered? And grown up.

2 comments:

  1. :)Besides the low price, I don't like barterring. ( gosh, look at my grammar.... I need your help with my essays!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And your spelling . . . . :) You know I'm always here for you, sistuh!

    ReplyDelete